Today is World Gratitude Day. While not as entertaining as International Talk Like a Pirate Day (agh! ye missed it! ‘Twas Tuesday!), I’d argue this one has a better chance at improving your life.
Simply put, with gratitude, we acknowledge the goodness in our lives. Gratitude helps us tune into what is already present in our lives. It has been shown to improve our health, build resilience and helps us build strong relationships.
So in honor of World Gratitude Day, I want to offer you six ideas on how you can show appreciation.
- Review a business or service that you love – is there a local or small business that you love? A positive Google, Yelp or FB review can mean the world to a small business, especially in today’s world.
- Review a person on LinkedIn – think of how delighted you’d be if a former boss, coworker or partner reviewed gave you a positive review (without asking). Now, who have you worked with that is great at their job? Be a champion and channel that gratitude into a review. (Humble request: if we have had a coaching session that helped you or you love this newsletter, I’d so appreciate your kind endorsement there.)
- Send a handwritten card or letter -There is something really special about a hand-written letter, and receiving a message in the mail feels especially generous.
- Practice loving-kindness meditation – this practice is a wonderful way to BE loving and hold someone dear in your heart. (And it’s free!)
- Give an unexpected “just because” gift – it doesn’t have to be big or expensive to be meaningful. Who is in your world that might appreciate being surprised with an acknowledgement or treat?
- Journal your gratitudes – grab your journal and dedicate your writing to all the people, experiences, places, things, etc. that make your life rich and meaningful.
There are many ways to be grateful, these are just a few of my favorites. I’d love to hear from you: how do you plan to show appreciation and gratitude for the people in your life? Hit reply and let me know! (Bonus points if you talk like a pirate!)